Monday, July 9, 2007

What Was THAT?

No pictures this time dear friends! But I had to tell you about it. Last night we had a storm the likes of which neither of us had ever seen. Even Ron with all his sea experience. (Of course, he didn't tell me that, until this morning!) First there was lightning -- surrounding lightning! The boat began moving in circles -- the wind had changed so many times and had no rhyme or reason to it. I vaguely remembered from a Coast Guard Weather course, this wasn't good. Then the little bit of rain we did have, stopped. I laughed. And said (and I'll never do THIS again) "That's it, that's all they got?" Well, never mess with Mother Nature. Out of nowhere there came torrential rains. We looked out and it looked like smoke swirling in every which direction which was the wild gusting winds and pooling rain swirling all around us. It was eerie. The anchor and chain held. The Bimini rattled and shook. Boats around us put on large search lights to see their position and couldn't because of the limited visibility and suddenly it stopped. Lightning still surrounded us -- north, south, west, east. No pattern -- just swirl. This morning we heard on the radio that two tornado's were sighted in the general area and many of the homes are without electric this morning. Bottom line? IT WAS EXHILARATING!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

One thing you probably have seen here in Canada - if you don't like the weather here in Canada, wait 5 minutes. Glad you made it safely through the night and bet it was very exhilarating! In my neck of the Lake Huron woods we had tornados as well.

Jamie Rock sent me to your blog and I look forward to hearing more about your adventures!

Jamie said...

I see Jean found you! I told her about your adventures and wondered if you were near where she is? Jenn is a wonderful net friend for a few years now. We did unfortually miss their wedding last month because of Bill's shedule. She posted a video of one of the locks you passed through. Now hopefully this comes through. Now others can get a feel for what you go through!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyI8aBK7bA8

Love ,

Jamie said...

Ooops didnt' post BUT you can copy/paste it into your browser.Amazing!

Jamie said...

Oh forgot...YIKES.....I am glad you are both ok...that must have aged you for sure!!!!Did Gilligan fair ok?

Talk to you later Jean and Ron!

JAS said...

Welcome to my life. :-)

Very glad to hear you're all okay.

JAS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I told my mom NEVER tempt the Mother nature Gods... they will get you.... Just what a daughter would want to hear about her parents! Thank God they are ok and safe and I wish I could have been there to see it (well now that I know the outcome :-))