Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Eat more Pork?




While waiting for the taxi cab that never showed, we kept hearing roosters crowing. Looking around, they were all over the parking lot. About 8 in all. Just mulling around, crowing when the mood struck and jogging to avoid the moving vehicles. Can you guess what our little Gilligan did? Yea, it was pretty funny to see them scatter. Lucky for him. They have claws that could seriously do some damage.
Waiting for Ron outside the store, I met a woman who has been living on a houseboat with her husband now for six years. They come from Kentucky and have decided this is the last year for houseboat living. Suddenly this didn't seem like all that long.
I saw another dear sole that reminded me of how much we all have to be thankful for and seldom realize it. She looked to be about 40-45, distinctly wrinkled, and toothless. She was unlocking a bicycle with two loads of permanent cargo in front of and behind her seating area. She stood up from unlocking the bike and lit a cigarette. Holding the cigarette in a toothless mouth, she turned sideways. Pregnant. Very very pregnant. I'd guess about 8 months. It was pretty obvious that cigarettes was not the only drug being ingested and my heart bled for her. As she peddled away in a bowlegged fashion, I said a little prayer for her and that innocent unborn child. I can't even imagine the life the child will have even if adopted. Coming back to our 37 foot boat, I realized we had all we needed right here, and more! We are grateful.

1 comment:

JAS said...

I say, I say, I say,
it's Foghorn Leghorn