Saturday, April 19, 2008

North Carolina's "Potato Gun"




We are docked at the Pelican Marina tonight. It's in Elizabeth City, NC. When we move the boat again, we hope to enter the Dismal Swamp. (I say it that way because we are expecting two days of thunder showers and bad weather. We will of course, remain in the marina if indeed reports are consistant tomorrow and Monday.) From everything we've read, the Dismal Swamp is a section of NC you did not want to miss and it was closed due to low water levels until 2/22/o8. So we got lucky. The marina we are in tonight is filled with very nice and hospitable people. The young man in green works for the marina. He is holding a "potato gun." As yes, you load it with potatoes, inject hairspray and fire at will! Gilligan does NOT like this thing. You can imagine how loud it is. It's almost a muffled thud! But loud at the same time. Well, the young man ran out of potatoes. Here at Elizabeth City, a local Farm Fresh supermarket will actually pick you up at a marina and drive you back again when you have completed the shopping in their store. It's a wonderful and much needed service for boaters. We were grateful. We utilized the service. Now you KNOW I had to get another bag of potatoes for this fellow. He called us over this evening to watch it fire. And yes, fire does indeed come out the end of this thing. It can shoot with amazing accuracy as well. This guy hit a garbage can dead on. And no, for those of you wondering, I did not want to try it. It looked like it gave quite a kickback and memories of a shotgun I fired at age 12 when my brother told me to hold it snugged into the shoulder -- I didn't -- it hurt! We don't have any of our own doctors nearby right now, thank you! I'll watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.